Monday 24 June 2013

Tethers


There is sooo much I want to say in this post I feel I should apologizes now if I waffle a bit.
"In the wake of a cold Victorian winter, Karl Scheffer and Esther Emerson discover an anonymous journal filled with strange passages and bizarre scribblings. The journal soon draws them into a covert and sinister conspiracy, a conspiracy centred around an otherworldly artefact with the power to change everything"

When I first read about this book its concept grabbed me and straight away it was one of those books I just wanted to read. 
Having received my copy I was planning on reading it straight after I finished my current book however then the book funk hit. I didn't open it for a good few weeks, partly because I wanted to give it a just and fair chance, and knew at that time anything I picked up wouldn't have fit the odd mood I was in.

However one rainy afternoon (seriously its meant to be summer) having not read for WEEKS (which is really unusual for me) I found myself staring at it on the kindle app.
At first I thought, well I will just give it a page and see........well at 10 pm that night I was still reading.

I can honestly say I LOVED this book, and owe Croxall a massive Thank you for breaking my reading funk. 
I think this is going to always be one of those books I remember, as ones that were so good I forgot about everything else.
People who follow my twitter will properly have seen that I missed sleep some nights as I was reading too much.... YAY!!!!!

What really stood out for me was the voices the characters are given, I really felt like I was watching Karl, with a K, and Esther come to life, and show me their story. And having moved to the area (sort of) recently I really felt that the dialect, and colloquialisms are perfect. One thing that did stand out was that rather than just mention there accents Croxall using colloquium in there speech  which feels more organic to me.
The story moved on smoothly and the pace never left me bored, only guessing what would happen next.

This is defiantly a book I would recommend to anyone, but especially school kids, I think this is one of the books that would get them reading, and make them realize that reading is fun. Though at 22 I was still captivated.

Another thing I also noticed was that my usual Kindle-disease didn't get to me. Being a bit of a freak I cant stand the kindle, I think it has a place in the world however that place isn't with me. I like BOOKS, I want to be able to hold the pages, see how far I am in the book, not see that am 62% of the way though! Ops sorry that's a rant for another day........ The point is normally I just cant get though a book on the Kindle, or I do but I have no real connection to it there a few exceptions to this and I am pleased to say Tethers is one of them.

I was nervous about starting it just because I didn't want my prejudices of the format to get in the way of the story, I think it speaks volumes for the writing that it didn't

Now the only thing left to do is get myself a Paperback copy, so I can re-read it, and have it sit happy on my bookshelf. While I eagerly await the next installment. 

I give this book a 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment